My name is Kristi Keen. I am a mom, wife, doula, childbirth educator, and musician, and I have had 3 natural births. I have been serving Houston families as a birth doula since 2011 and as a childbirth educator since 2014.
I created this website because I saw a need for a quick natural childbirth class that covered the basics. Houston families are busy and often do not have time to devote to a 10-week childbirth education course. Many families do not desire to sit through a full-length course. I wanted to create an option for those families who need something quicker but that still contains the essentials of preparing for a natural childbirth. Giving birth is hard work! It takes commitment and preparation. Just as someone would not expect to run a marathon without consistent training, the same goes for preparing for a natural childbirth.
A few fun facts about me:
- I am a leftie.
- I have played the flute since I was 10 years old.
- I graduated in 2005 from McNeese State University in Lake Charles, LA with a Bachelor of Music degree and in 2009 from the University of Houston with a Master of Music degree.
- I still perform regularly.
- I have had three amazing natural birth experiences: one hospital birth with midwives, a midwife-attended home birth, and an accidental unassisted home birth because my little guy was in a hurry.
- I am a back-of-the-pack recreational runner. I’ve run several 5Ks, two 10Ks, and recently completed my first half-marathon.
- I am hoping to start nursing school in the Spring of 2021. I am almost done with my pre-reqs!